"The death penalty is unacceptable, however grave the crime of the convicted person. Capital punishment contradicts God's plan for individuals and society, and his merciful justice." - Pope Francis
Let's address the real problem by saying #NoToDeathPenalty and an astounding #YesToWarOnPoverty. These hashtags are better since executions are never the solution.
No to extra judicial killings and death squad. Our current justice system could not even accurately identify the wrongdoers. They could wrongfully persecute an innocent person. Many were wrongfully sentenced to death because of the screwed justice system.
1. The death penalty is the ultimate violation of human rights.
2. It violates the right to life as proclaimed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
3. It is the premeditated and cold-blooded killing of a human being by the state in the name of justice.
4. It is the ultimate cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment.
5. The death penalty is not a unique deterrent to crime.
6. The death penalty is discriminatory and is often used disproportionately against the marginalized sector of society, the poor, minorities and members of racial, ethnic and religious communities.
7. It is imposed and carried out arbitrarily.
8. The death penalty legitimizes an irreversible act of violence by the state and will inevitably claim innocent victims.
9. The judiciary is composed of people who are fallible, thus the risk of executing the innocent can never be eliminated.
10. Execution brings extreme physical and mental assault on an individual. The physical pain caused by the action of killing a human being cannot be quantified, nor can the psychological suffering caused by foreknowledge of death at the hands of the state.