Thousands of people all over the Metro waited and cheered at our Miss Universe of the Philippines. On Monday, January 25, 2016, was the grand homecoming parade of Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach. Her parade float was inspired by her $300,000 Miss Universe crown. Blue was the color of the day, but she was wearing a green Filipiniana gown.
True enough, Pia shines as she waves to the people all around her float. The queen tirelessly waves from the Miss Universe float for several hours during the motorcade. The last time the Philippines saw a crowd like this was during the visit of the Pope. Now it is the homecoming of another P - Pia. It's almost the same majestic welcome for our Pambansang Kamao Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao. "Like our boxing champ Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao (who is by the way another P), Pia unites our nation at a time when various issues divide us. Except that she comes in a prettier package."
"We're so happy to have an up close look with Queen Pia! What an amazing crowd in Ayala. The only parade which was supported and participated by thousands of employees of the Central Business District of the Philippines."
Pia is the third Filipina to win the title, ending a title drought of 42 years for the Philippines.
The Philippines last took home the crown in 1973, courtesy of Margie Moran. It was a short wait after the victory of Gloria Diaz in 1969.
Pia inadvertently won the most awkward Miss Universe moment in history after its host Steve Harvey wrongfully crowned Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez as Miss Universe 2015. Gutierrez had to be decrowned on the live telecast to give way to the rightful queen.
1. I will pay my taxes - Pia Wurtzbach cleared that she is not evading her taxes in the Philippines. “I am aware just like any employee that I have to pay taxes. I have never (missed it) when I was with ABS-CBN, Binibining Pilipinas. When I start working in the US, I’d be doing that as well.” However, " BIR can't tax this because this is not mine. I'm the second one to wear this and this will be passed on to the next winner" says Pia about the USD 300,000 worth Miss Universe crown. What the hell is wrong with Kim Henares? She should know better, or is our law simply has so many loopholes that needs to be filled up?
Other non-beauty queen Filipinos who won talent shows or sports get taxed and are demanded remittance cuts for their winnings with no such consideration. The law must truly change! A lot of Filipinos athletes are doing their best and risking their lives just to give honor to our country. If they exempt her, Manny and all athletes should be exempted as well. Is the government really just for selected individuals?
2. I have no special someone yet - Her crown is currently her boyfriend. Sorry PNoy but "This crown is my boyfriend." Now I'm now considering to change my name to "This Crown." Lol! There's currently no Prince Charming in her life. To come back to the Philippines is the happily ever after she has always dreamed of. She may eat her words really soon when men from all over the world - the universe, rather - start courting her. "I thought it was something, but it was nothing. I don't have a boyfriend. I didn't have a boyfriend during the competition. Although I thought I was seeing somebody, but turns out, I wasn't. So kita mo, kahit Miss Universe ka, pwede ka pa rin maging sawi."
3. I want to be a politician - The most beautiful woman in the world has set her heart out to also join the government. Hopefully, as a true public servant that is "confidently beautiful with a heart." I hope she becomes a good leader who will not be easily influenced by greed in aiming for a lavish lifestyle. Or is she just saying this because she was in front of Senators that moment? Just as she answered favorably to the majority of the audience during the Miss Universe pageant when asked if she is fine with US military presence in the Philippines. Pia created a frenzy during her appearance at the Senate to accept a resolution congratulating her on her victory that ended a 42-year title drought for the country.
4. I'm for military aid, not military bases - With her controversial answer at the Miss Universe Q&A, "The Philippines and United States has always had a good relationship with each other. We were colonized by the Americans and we have their culture in our citizens even now these days. And I think that were very welcome with the Americans and I don’t see any problem with that" , it seems she is favoring military bases in the country. However, Pia explains that “From what I understand, military presence is different from military bases. Military presence to me sounds like aid, military help, security. So for me, it didn’t sound wrong. So that’s why I’m sticking with my answer.”
5. Determination will soon bear fruits - As what Senate President Franklin Drilon said "Your fierce faith in God, determination and the strong support of the people who love you and who believe in you, brought you to where you are now." True enough one netizen said her win is "A fulfillment of God's promise for Miss Universe Pia-Alonzo Wurtzbach. God is faithful for those who remain in Him. For those who don't give up and quit on their dreams. For those who trusted God more than themselves."
6. I am all for HIV awareness - One of the answers of Miss Universe 2015duri ng the pageant was “If I were to be Miss Universe, I will use my voice to influence the youth and I will raise awareness to certain causes like HIV awareness that is timely and relevant to my country, which is the Philippines,” She now says she would have herself tested to show the world – the universe, rather – the first step in addressing the HIV crisis. “The first step is get yourself tested and to let yourself be informed. I have plans of getting tested myself, too” says Pia in an interview. “If I take the first step, then maybe others can follow suit. So I hope that they do, they really do,” she added.
7. Filipino designers should dress her up - I was told by a reliable source that Pia was supposed to wear foreign-designed gowns again upon her return to Manila. I am glad that plan did not push through. Filipino designers like Francis Libiran, Cheetah Rivera, and others should be the ones to dress our beauty queen of the Universe. Did Albert Andrade freaked out at any occasion of the entire Miss Universe escapade. I'm sure he had nothing to do with this grand parade gown, and he's having conniptions that people are assuming this is his work too! Then where the hell did Pia grabbed this gown from? I suspect Madam Stella did it again.
8. She is truly confidently beautiful with a heart - Beautiful, smart, intelligent with lots of "wit" and most of all, Pia Wurtzbach acts so "natural" in all her interviews. I like her, she deserves the title! I'm proud of all my fellow Filipinos who are making our country the Philippines recognized through its citizen's amazing talent and kindness. The way she says it, so simple yet with deep meaning. It makes me cry knowing we have many beautiful women with wisdom to match.
9. The Universe aligned with her presence - In an amazing timing, Pia also captured in her motorcade in Manila with a rainbow in the sky, showing to the world, the Universe rather, that she is the rightful miss universe. You'll see several shots of her amidst a rainbow-decorated the sky. " Truly. The curvy line in the logo represents the rainbow, the five stars were Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. The stars were aligned at the sky. Destiny at its finest." Wow! What a coincidence! A rainbow and an alignment of planets a few days ago. It's a perfect timing for our Miss Universe during her grand parade! She's the real and destined queen of the universe!
10. Pia is equally proud of her fellow Filipinos - "We thank her for the gift of making Filipinos – us, the 100-million strong people scattered across the world – prouder than ever." More than just the "Pianatics," if ever you are still not one, the support of Filipinos towards her is a resounding "Yes" without any reservations. We would like to think Pia shares the same admiration towards other Filipinos who strive hard, just like her, in attaining a dream.
Here are some more photos of her during the grand parade: